*this post is featured at Indie Ink *
I am thinking of you this morning, driving from the cabin to the lake. Tires crunching on gravel, one hand holding my coffee cup, the other on the steering wheel. I give a country wave to the two ladies who walk our road every morning; two fingers raised from the wheel and a smile.
I am driving my son to the beach to go swimming. He loves the water. Small brown feet kick the base of his carseat as he looks out the window, naming as he goes.
"Wa." he says, definitively.
"Yes babe. Water."
"Bee." He says. Beach.
He will be two this summer: my oldest. My youngest, back at the cabin with his great aunt, is nearly seven months old. Neither of my children were planned, were certainly not expected, but I love them more than anything I have ever loved. I can barely remember what life was like before them. Maybe I don't want to.
We flit down this narrow road through boreal forest, through bright morning sunlight and deep cool shade. Our windows rolled down, the scent of pine and fir heavy in the humid air. It's good to be back on the Canadian Shield. My heart holds a place open for this space; for the Thomsonesque rock sliding into lake after lake after lake, for the early morning and late evening paddles, for the deep dark forests, for the bears and loons and deer. It feels like home. And it reminds me of you.
I wonder, is your little corner of paradise anything like mine? Do you sit in the dark and watch fireflies, listen to the haunting call of loons out on the lake? Do you hike in the forest, sidestepping the lichens at your feet? Is there a canoe that takes you out gliding over the water in the early morning?
I wonder how you are. Are you happy? I imagine you are busy - it would surprise me greatly to hear otherwise. Are you in love or, like me, are you satisfied with solitude for now? I know you are doing what makes your soul come alive, and for that I will always be grateful. It makes me indescribably happy to see my friends succeed in whatever they choose to bend themselves to.
The road dips and twists; suddenly a deer appears. It bounces away into the brush, a flash of tan and then nothing.
"Deew!" My boy misses nothing from his perch in the backseat. His bright eyes take in everything through his window on the world.
He's a smart little guy, no doubt about it. And he's going to be trouble, I can tell already. He has a stubborn streak in him a mile wide and very definite ideas about how his world is going to be. He makes me want to laugh and kiss his chubby cheeks; to cry and tear my hair out and run screaming to the nearest bar, often all at once. In short, he is his mother's son.
I think of how, when we were so young, we swore we would never grow apart, no matter where life took us, no matter how old we got. When 30 seems an inconceivable age, it's hard to put life into perspective. And so we have drifted, in exactly the ways that our teenage hearts told us we would never. We no longer spend each and every weekend sleeping over at each other's houses. We don't read to one another from our journals anymore. We don't spend summers travelling, hitchhiking, going to music festivals anymore. Because life is what it is, and nothing stays the same forever, thank g-d.
I cut the engine at the beach and look out at the water. The wind whips waves into whitecaps; foam sprays from the tops and is blown away in an instant. I'm tempted to try another lake, another beach facing away from the wind. It's early morning cool still, and I worry about my small fry. But I can see he is already twisting in his seat. He's seen the beach, and it's time to go. He doesn't give two shits about the whitecaps; we're here and he wants to do stuff. If it's not perfect, oh well. We'll beachcomb instead of swim. This kid is teaching me things already.
I release him from his carseat trap and he hits the ground running, down toward the water. I watch him go, as fast as his little legs can propel him, and think of you one last time before I join in on yet another adventure.
I miss you, and I hope adventure is finding you today, too.
I am sure her adventure is more than we can imagine. She has made her mark in this world and as her good friend, your paths will reconnect.
ReplyDeleteThat was beautiful - can't wait to read more of what you've written.
ReplyDelete